My sister had a clean out of her tea drawer. So I got some of those large tea flower type things that open up in boiling water, as well as some small hard lumps of tea shoots.
Of course, using tea in any form in the solution is going to produce some colour (brown) and it contains tannin, a natural mordant, so it should promote colour in the silk.
I made a solution of water and the tea flowers. Lovely reddish brown water.
Three pieces of silk were tightly wrapped with, respectively, brown onion. the tea flowers, and the tea “balls”. Then simmered in tea flower solution for 30 minutes.
The colour is limited by my technology so this is not the most exciting post I’ve made.
I’ve never heard of tea flowers or balls but lovely fabrics!